Crime Stoppers of Houston honored and celebrated four incredible individuals, along with two corporate partners at their annual Houston’s Heroes Awards Luncheon, which took place on April 19, 2017 at the Royal Sonesta Hotel.
The event welcomed over 500 guests from the greater Houston area and raised over $135,000 to fund the critical crime prevention programs and public safety initiatives delivered by the nonprofit in Houston communities and schools.
Jacquie Baly, president and CEO of BalyProjects and FOX 26 political analyst, emceed the afternoon festivities, which included opening remarks and a moment of silence from Crime Stoppers Executive Director Rania Mankarious, followed by keynote speaker James Conway, a national security and counterterrorism expert. Conway spoke about terrorism globally as well as specific risks in Houston and the value of community policing.
The following individuals and corporate partners were recognized as the 2017 Houston’s Heroes for continuously being on the forefront as citizenry advocates:
- Johnny Klevenhagen Award: Alan Rosen, Harris County Constable Precinct 1
- Leon Goldstein Award: Brenda Stardig, City of Houston council member, District A
- Leiv Platou Award: Steve Mach, chairman of the Texas Public Safety Commission
- Corporate Partnership Award: Merriman Holt Powell Architects
- Corporate Partnership Award: Mission Constructors, Inc.
- Safe School Award: Constance White
“It’s no wonder that Houston is on the forefront of so many positive things. In thinking about our honorees and the work they do both professionally and personally as well as those in the room of this annual event, I am reminded that we are a city blessed with the best of the best. Congratulations again to our honorees, as well as our two corporate partners, without whom Crime Stoppers of Houston would not be where it is today,” Mankarious said.