The United States Department of Health & Human Services physical activity guidelines for Americans recommend that adults get at least 2½ hours of moderately to vigorously intense physical activity each week.
A good time to start moving is in May for National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. Even if you’re not the workout regime type, it’s easy to make physical fitness part of your life. Here are 12 daily ways to get active:
- Park your car further away from the entrance.
- Take the stairs, not the elevator.
- During work breaks take a short walk around the building.
- Play games with your kids or grand kids.
- Do household chores.
- Bike to work or to run errands.
- Work on a home repair project.
- Play in a swimming pool.
- Walk with a friend or pet at lunch or after dinner.
- Sit on an exercise ball while watching TV or at a desk.
- Arrange your office for movement. Place items out of arm’s reach.