Moules & Cockles Mariniere
- 16 live mussels, scrubbed and rinsed
- 12 live cockles, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet vermouth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/8 teaspoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
In a small sauté pan over medium-high heat, add garlic, shallots and oil. Sauté for 1 minute. Add cockles and mussels and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next, add white wine to deglaze. Cover and simmer for an additional 3 minutes, letting shellfish open. Remove and discard any unopened cockles or mussels. Stir in lemon, lime, basil and butter to combine. Season with salt and pepper, divide (with liquid) among four shallow bowls and serve hot.
Note: Cockles are small saltwater clams and are available at larger area markets selling seafood.