Cod with Pickled Mussels | Crab & Fava Sauce
- 4 5-ounce portions of a very large cod, filleted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, peeled with no pith
- 2 pounds steamed mussels
- 3 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups Nobilo 2012 Icon Sauvignon Blanc
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 4 stems tarragon
- 6 bay leaves
Heat ingredients until sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool to around 180 F. Adjust the sugar to your personal taste. Add mussels and store for at least 5 days.
Crab and Fava Sauce
- 4 tablespoons crab meat
- 7 3/4 cups blanched fava beans
- 3 tablespoons liquid from the pickled mussels
- 2 tablespoons 2012 Nobilo Icon Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 mussel
- 1 tablespoons salted butter
Chef ’s Tip: Adding herbs as you are serving maintains the bright flavors and colors.
Gently warm ingredients in a saucepan, adding butter last and mix in to incorporate without breaking the liquid and butter. Remove from the heat, add the herbs as you serve and mix through.
- 2 cups blanched warm favas
- 1 cup hot heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Place all ingredients into a blender, except cream. Add cream slowly and purée on a very high speed to ensure the purée is as smooth and silky as possible.
- Black mint
- Bronze fennel
- Fava flowers
Smear the fava purée at the base of the plate. Place the fish on top of that and carefully place the stack of crab/favas next to the fish. The mussels can go anywhere.