Sweet Potato Pie with Wild Turkey Whipped Cream
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening or lard
- 3 tablespoons ice water
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and shortening and cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture looks like small peas. Slowly add the cold water and mix until a dough forms. Shape the dough into a disk and roll out on a lightly flowered surface until you have a thin round that will fit in a 9-inch pie pan. Place the pie crust in the pie pan and set it aside.
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 1 3/4 cups cooked sweet potatoes or yams
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, cinnamon and vanilla in a medium bowl. Mix well and pour it into the pie crust.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Wild Turkey 101
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup pecan halves and pieces
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the honey, butter, Wild Turkey and salt and mix until blended. Stir in the pecans and pour the mixture over the sweet potato layer. Bake the pie for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature of the oven to 325 F and bake the pie for 1 additional hour.
Wild Turkey Whipped Cream
- 3 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup Wild Turkey 101
Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl beat the cream and brown sugar until soft peaks form; then add the Wild Turkey and beat until stuff. Refrigerate the whipped cream mixture until ready to serve; then spread it on the pie.